Questions If you have a question which is not addressed here, you may find the answer by visiting the Questions page of Air National Guard, or the Questions page of Air Force Link. For general military questions, please refer to the Department of Defense's FAQs page.


Collapse All Expand All

How can I contact military personnel?

The Air Force World Wide Locator offered by the Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) handles official and unofficial requests to locate Air Force Personnel. Official requests are defined as requests received from any government agency and the Department of Defense (DoD). All other requests are considered unofficial in nature.

The Air Force World Wide Locator only has location information on individuals who are currently receiving compensation from the USAF (Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retired, and Civil Service Personnel). If the individual has separated from the Air Force, no information is available. To obtain or find out more information about the service, you can contact AFPC at:

550 C Street West Suite 50
Randolph AFB TX 78150-4752 Phone:
Commercial (210) 565-2660
Military to Military DSN 665-2660 Customer Service Hours:
Monday - Friday (except Federal Holidays)
7:30 AM - 4:30 PM (Central Standard Time) e-mail: afpc.pa.dlist@randolph.af.mil

If you need to contact a military member for emergency purposes, call your local Red Cross chapter, click on "Your local Red Cross" and enter your zip code.

How can I obtain copies of my military records?

Individual military departments, including the Air Force, do not maintain files or records pertaining to individuals no longer on active duty. When an individual is separated from military service (because of retirement, discharge from active duty or death), his/her Field Personnel File (containing all military and health records) is forwarded for storage to the National Personnel Records Center (Military). The Records Center is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) of the United States Government.

An individual's complete service record is available to the former service member or, if deceased, to his/her next of kin (parents, spouse or children). Limited information (such as dates of service, awards, and training) is available to anyone. Not available to the general public is information which would invade an individual's privacy; for example, medical records, Social Security number or present address.

If requesting the records of a relative, a requester should mention the relationship to the former member (brother, uncle, or other). There is no charge for this service to former service members or their next of kin. For others, a nominal fee is charged for research and reproduction costs. Files at the Records Center are maintained as historical records only and are not updated to reflect current data on the former service member. The address for the National Personnel Records Center is:

National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Blvd
St. Louis MO 63132
Phone: 314-801-0800 or 1-866-272-6272 (1-86-NARA-NARA) For individuals compiling family histories, NARA provides assistance to those interested in genealogy. NARA normally charges a nominal fee for research and reproduction costs. Their address is:

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20408

I have questions about the Air National Guard or the National Guard Bureau. How do I get answers?

National Guard Almanac (30th Ed, 2004), Copies can be purchased for $8.50 + $3.50 shipping. Contact: UNIFORMED SERVICES ALMANAC, INC., P.O. Box 4144-Z, Falls Church, VA 22044-0144. Phone: 703-532-1631.

I would like to sell a product/service to the Air National Guard?

Under the Federal Acquisition Regulations, any contracting opportunities/projects the National Guard undertakes are solicited via normal contracting procedures, including approval from the Acquisition Planning Board.

To find out about contracting opportunities with the National Guard, log on to the Commerce Business Daily web site. All solicitations on behalf of the Guard can be found on that site.

What are my benefits as a National Guardsman?

For information on the benefits of being an Air Guardsman, visit the Air Reserve Personnel Center web site.

How do I request a flyover or other military aviation support? 

Requests for a military flyover at your special event must be made through the U.S. Air Force Aerial Events Support home page

There are five (5) simple steps to requesting a military flyover. All requests should be turned in 90 days before the event in order to allow enough time for coordinating your request:
1. Go to https://www.airshows.pa.hq.af.mil/PublicSite/Index.cfm?fwa=home and fill out a new request for aerial support (DD Form 2535).
2. Obtain all signatures on the DD Form 2535 and then the fax entire document to the local (Nashville) FAA office for approval (phone (615) 324-1309, fax (615) 324-1360)
3. Once FAA approval is received, fax the fully signed DD Form 2535 to the US Air Force Aerial Events Office at (703) 693-9664.
4. Wait for final approval from Air Force Public Affairs that your request has been deemed eligible for an Air Force flyover. This eligibility does not guarantee your event will have a military flyover, only that it has become eligible to receive one.
5. After you have received approval from both AF Public Affairs and FAA please contact the 134th ARW Flyover Point of Contact Capt. Joseph Keith at (865) 336-3205. Capt. Keith can assist with any questions as well as obtain any specific information that may be deemed necessary for planning.
Event organizers should be aware that military aircraft flyover requests are subject to a number of restrictions and are supported only where they do not impact operational mission accomplishment.  Anyone requesting a military aircraft flyover must submit a completed DD Form 2535 a minimum of 90 days before the event to be considered for support.  Requests received 30 days or closer to the event will NOT be considered.

Air Force aerial support events generally fall into two categories: Aviation/Patriotic Holiday-related and Non-Aviation-related.

Requests for off-base flyovers will be considered only for aviation-related events (i.e., air shows, airport anniversaries or dedications) or for patriotic observances held in conjunction with formal observances, open to the public, on Armed Forces Day (third Saturday in May), Memorial Day (last Monday in May), Independence Day (July 4), Prisoner Of War/Missing in Action (POW/MIA) Recognition Day (third Friday in September), and Veterans Day (November 11 ) when held within seven days of the holiday date.  This does not mean that you can request a flyover for an event on July 2nd, justifying its eligibility because it falls within seven days on one of the DoD-approved holidays.  As a reminder, all sporting events require Air Force Public Affairs exception-to-policy approval regardless of the date.  All other events that do not meet DoD eligibility criteria may possibly be considered as exceptions-to-policy events for one-time-only events provided there is sufficient rationale.

Aviation support that may be requested includes static display aircraft, a flyover, an aerial demonstration or a parachute team performance.  An authorized flyover is a straight and level flight, limited to one pass, by no more than four military aircraft of the same general type (e.g., tactical, transport, rotary wing) from the same military Service over a predetermined point on the ground at a specific time and not involving aerobatics or demonstrations.

Aerial demonstrations are reserved for air shows only and will not be performed over other public events.

Generally, the Air Force is unable to support fundraising events.  If your event raises funds for any purpose, please call the Air Force Aerial Events Office at (703) 695-9664 or (703) 695-9776, to discuss your options.

Public Affairs Office

Comm: (865)336-3205
DSN: 266-3205
Noise Complaints (865) 336-3218
Billeting (865) 336-3302

Freedom of 
Information Act