Chief Master Sergeant Michael M. Johnson is the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 134th Air Refueling Wing, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn. He is the primary advisor to the Wing Commander and is the focal point for all activities affecting the enlisted force, to include operations, readiness, training, utilization, morale, technical and professional development, and overall quality of life for over 1000 enlisted members in the organization.
Chief Johnson enlisted in the United States Air Force in March 1991. He attended technical training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas and graduated from Apprentice Strategic Aircraft Maintenance Specialist Course. While assigned to the 134th Air Refueling Wing in Knoxville, Tenn., Chief Johnson served in many roles, including Crew Chief, Isochronal Inspection Dock Floor Lead, Maintenance Operations Center Superintendent, Resource Advisor/Budget Analyst, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Flight Chief and Component Maintenance Flight Chief. Prior to his current position, Chief Johnson served as the Maintenance Group Superintendent.
Chief Johnson deployed numerous times supporting contingency and combat operations throughout the world, and participated in Operation NORTHERN and SOUTHERN WATCH, NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM, OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM and OPERATION FREEDOM SENTINEL
1991 Strategic Aircraft Maintenance Specialist Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
1995 Airframe and Power Plant License, Aviation MX Course, TN Technology Center, Tenn.
1996 Airman Leadership School, Thomas N. Barnes Center, Maxwell AFB, Gunter-Annex, Ala., by correspondence
1998 Heavy Aircraft Maintenance Craftsman Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2002 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Thomas N. Barnes Center, Maxwell AFB, Gunter-Annex, Ala., by correspondence
2005 Associate Degree, Aircraft Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Gunter-Annex, Ala.
2005 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy Thomas N. Barnes Center, Maxwell AFB, Gunter-Annex, Ala., by correspondence
2010 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Carson Newman University, Jefferson City, Tenn.
2017 Chief Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland030902
2017 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell AFB, Gunter-Annex, Ala.
2020 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington D.
1. August 1991–September 1991, Student, Strategic Aircraft Maintenance Specialist Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
2. September 1991–November 1991, Student, Strategic Aircraft Maintenance Specialist Course, Carswell AFB, Texas
3. November 1991–January 1998, Crew Chief, flight line maintenance,134 MXS, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn. (January 1997, Crew Chief, Incirlik Air Base, Turkey)
4. January 1998–November 2004, ISO Dock Inspector/Mechanic, 134 MXS McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn. (February 1998–March 1998, Crew Chief, Al Dhafra AB, United Arab Emirates) (September 1998–October1998, Crew Chief, Istres, France) (April 1999–May 1999, Crew Chief, Rhein-Main AB, Germany) (October 2002–November 2002, Crew Chief, Incirlik AB, Turkey) (March 2003–April 2003, Crew Chief, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom) (March 2004, Crew Chief, Istres, France) (August 2004–September 2004, Crew Chief, Andersen AFB, Guam)
5. November 2004–November 2005, ISO Dock Floor Lead, 134 MXS McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
6. November 2005–June 2006, Maintenance Operations Center Controller, 134 MOF McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
7. June 2006–March 2008, Maintenance Operations Center Lead Controller, 134 MOF McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
8. March 2008–March 2010, Maintenance Operations Center Superintendent, 134 MOF McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn. (October 2008–January 2009, MOC Superintendent, Manas AB, Kyrgyzstan)
9. March 2010–February 2015, Resource Advisor/ Budget Analyst 134th MXG McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn. (May 2010–July 2010, MOC Superintendent, Incirlik AB, Turkey) (July 2014–August 2014, MOC Superintendent, Andersen AFB, Guam)
10. February 2015–November 2015, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Flight Chief, 134th AMXS McGhee Tyson ANGB Tenn.
11. November 2015–June 2017, Component Maintenance Flight Chief, 134th MXS McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn. (January 2016– March 2016, Production Superintendent, Andersen AFB, Guam) (August 2016–October 2016, AMU Superintendent, Al Udied AB, Qatar)
12. June 2017–March 2020, Maintenance Group Superintendent, 134 MXG McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
13. March 2020–Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 134th Air Refueling Wing McGhee Tyson ANGB Tenn.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
1995 Airman of the Quarter
2011 Resource Advisor of the Year
2013 Resource Advisor of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic March 25, 1991
Airman Dec. 20, 1991
Airman First Class Aug. 01, 1992
Senior Airman Mar. 01, 1993
Staff Sergeant Aug. 01, 1996
Technical Sergeant Nov. 17, 2000
Master Sergeant Oct. 15, 2004
Senior Master Sergeant Nov 24, 2010
Chief Master Sergeant Jan 01, 2016
(Current as of March 2020)